>> PDI Home > Award of Completion Programs > Common Core Grade-Level Specialist
Common Core Grade-Level Specialist Award of Completion Program
The Professional Development Institute, in association with the prestigious University of California San Diego Extension (UCSD), has established a Common Core Grade-Level Specialist Award of Completion program. This program is unique in that it allows you to focus on the Common Core State Standards for your own specific grade level. Become the Common Core Standards leader for your grade level and school by participating in this exciting new program.
PDI has five specifically-designed courses to help you effectively understand and implement the Common Core State Standards for your grade level. Upon completion of all five courses, you will receive the Common Core Grade-Level Specialist Award of Completion from the University of California San Diego Extension. Upon PDI's verification of satisfactory completion of the requirements, UCSD will mail a certificate to you suitable for framing and display in your classroom or to become part of your professional portfolio.
**Note: The Common Core Grade-Level Specialist Award is available for grades K-5.
Review the details below to find out how to get started in this exciting special program.
Click here for an article about the Common Core Specialist Program by Dr. Morgan Appel, Director of the Education Department of UCSD Extension
Steps to obtain the PDI/UCSD Common Core Grade-Level Specialist Award of Completion
- Register for the following five courses based on your grade level. They do not have to be taken in any particular order. Perhaps you have already completed one or more of the courses! Each flex course including all credit fees is only $374! Each semester course is only $429 including all credit fees! Note that you do not need to register for all five courses at one time and you may take the courses in any order you wish. You have up to five years to complete the requirements.
- Register for the courses with university credit. Click here to register. Simply select the option that says "course plus credit" when you register for your courses in the shopping cart area. You must receive university credit for every course you wish to use toward the requirements of the Common Core Grade-Level Specialist Award of Completion. Note that you are required to pay for university credit within 48 hours of your course registration.
- You may have already completed one or more of the required courses! If you are not certain if you have completed any of the required courses, you may e-mail PDI for verification. You will receive a response within 48 hours. Click here to e-mail PDI. Please note that only courses previously completed with university credit can be applied toward the Award of Completion. You must complete all courses within a five-year period.
- Work on completing the five courses you selected. Once you have received your final grade from PDI for all five courses, you may move on to the final PDI audit. Note that credit is only granted upon successful completion of all course requirements including the minimum time requirement.**
- Request a PDI audit of course requirements. PDI must audit and officially verify that you have met all course requirements and timelines before UCSD Extension will issue your Award of Completion. There is a $25 audit fee, so be certain that you have received your final grades in all required courses prior to requesting the PDI audit. Click here to pay for the audit. Choose PDI Audit for Common Core Award of Completion.
- Once PDI has audited your student record and verified completion of all course requirements and timelines, you will receive an e-mail notification that PDI has submitted your paperwork to UCSD Extension. Within 10 days, UCSD Extension will issue and mail your official Common Core Grade-Level Specialist Award of Completion.
If you have questions about this program, please contact the PDI Program Coordinator, Jenna Swanner, at email@example.com.
** UCSD and PDI require that you spend a minimum of three weeks in EACH of your online courses. In other words, if you register for two online courses, you will be expected to spend three weeks in each course for a total of six weeks altogether. The timeline begins from the day you register and runs consecutively, not concurrently, when taking multiple courses. Completion paperwork will not be processed until the minimum timeline requirement has been met. Both PDI and UCSD are intent on ensuring that the participant is able to maximize the knowledge gained by meaningful involvement in the program. (Note that from June through August, you must spend two weeks per course.)